Visit my new blog

In case you haven't heard, I've moved my blog, but haven't figured out how to redirect yet. HTML code can kiss my a*s. Come visit me here: http://kimberwidmer.com

Thursday, July 16, 2009

thrill ride

i was jolted from sleep last night by the hugest crack of thunder as the sky exploded in light. a simultaneous smackdown from heaven that left my adrenal gland gasping from its sudden surge. blood was coursing through my system like a raging white water river—my heart the pounding evidence. 

is this why i delight in thunderstorms?

is it a bit like the feeling i get when i crest the top of a huge rollercoaster knowing that in mere seconds, my stomach will be somewhat closer to my throat, my eyes slightly bulged out as the wind whips my hair into my wide-opened mouth? or like sitting in a movie theater, my hand gripping the forearm of my neighbor, unable to turn my eyes from the screen, knowing that i should look away, yet can't. screams erupt all around, my nails did deep into flesh, and my reaction leaves me feeling slightly foolish. the only consolation is i am in good company.

is it the anticipation of the clap of thunder after the flash of lightning? knowing it is coming, but just not when... and jumping out of my skin anyways? and then the nervous laughter. 

thunderstorms. a little natural thrill ride. exhilirating and terrifying all at the same time.

after the storm's main attack, i love the sound of the torrents of rain dancing on my rooftop. the gurgling of the overworked drainspouts and the river of water coursing down my driveway. the thought that my grass and garden and flowerpots are getting a good dousing and i can neglet to water them myself with a clear conscience. 

i love a good storm. 

afterwards, i flip my pillow to its cool dreaminess, pull up my covers and dream of dancing barefoot in the rain.

what's your best memory of a storm?

1 comment:

  1. Oooh very nice!

    I have always loved storms too, which I think I've mentioned recently a couple times on my blog. In fact, when I was little, I wanted to be a meteorologist.

    I also love watching this tornado chaser show on tv every Sunday (can't remember the name of it).

    ReplyDelete

love me some comment love… thanks so much for taking the time to share your heart with me!