Visit my new blog

In case you haven't heard, I've moved my blog, but haven't figured out how to redirect yet. HTML code can kiss my a*s. Come visit me here: http://kimberwidmer.com

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

laughing on the inside, sweating on the outside

i'm laughing over the fact that i can blog about the dumb ole bachelorette on post it notes and get a dozen comments and then post some epic essay that i work really hard on and it gets two comments and crickets chirping. oh well, such is life in the land of blogdom.
yesterday was the day after summer soltice (yikes… the days are getting shorter already!!) and perhaps the steamiest day here in east tennessee. {that is until today probably.} perfect time for the AC to go out, dontcha think?
i tried the usual things… because this has been happening for the past few weeks… our AC just randomly decides to cut off. a retripping of the untripped breakers, a flick of the thermostat switch… it's usually enough to get it jumpstarted.
not this time.
and the hubs was gone until almost seven.
it was about 83 inside. and 95 outside. opening windows seemed like not the smartest thing to do.
nor did turning on the oven to bake crescent rolls or make dinner, but i did.
the hubs found some fusebox on the AC unit and determined that it was an old fuse. off to home depot for a replacement.
dude. i'm so glad that place is literally within walking distance. he could have walked it, but hey, can't say i wouldn't turn down an air conditioned ride across the street either.
it was the fuse. and our unit took hours to recover from being off for several hours. {i'm so spoiled, seriously, i hate how dependent we are on stupid AC… but it's not so stupid when you don't have it!!}
i could have gone outside and sat on the front porch and watched the lightning bugs, but i think they're took the night off because their butts would have heated up the atmosphere too much.
it was a steamy one last nite. the air was still and the humidity was way up there.
made me want to have some of that father's day ice cream… but it's long gone.
bama girl has put in a request to have it for her birthday in a week.
good. gives me an excuse to make it. it's a guilty pleasure.

here it is, in case you want to feel guilty too.
white chocolate raspberry ice cream
1 pt fresh raspberries
2 lg eggs
1 1/2 c sugar
2 c heavy or whipping cream
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 c milk
2 squares baker's white chocolate, chopped
{raspberries are amazingly flavorful and pretty tart, so don't skip this first step thinking you want the tang of straight up raspberries. you're going to want to sweeten them up with sugar.}
toss the raspberries, 3/4 cup sugar, and lemon juice in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. 
meanwhile, beat the eggs in a mixing bowl for 1-2 minutes till they're fluffy. continue beating and slowly add the remaining sugar until completely blended. add the heavy cream and milk and mix to blend. drain the juice from the raspberries into the cream mixture and blend. 
mash the raspberries and stir into the cream mixture along with the white chocolate. transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions. makes 1 quart of heaven.
NOTE: If you like a chunkier raspberry ice cream like we do, begin the freezing process without the raspberries and white chocolate and add them when the ice cream stiffens (about 2 minutes before it's done) then add the whole raspberries along with the white chocolate.
homemade ice cream tends to be a bit soft, so it's a good idea to make it a few hours before you want it, so you can pop it into the freezer for a good freeze.
oh my word, i want some right now…

6 comments:

  1. Recipe looks delicious! I'm really hoping I don't make it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. I have GOT to make some homemade ice cream this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when it's something simple like a fuse! That ice cream looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, that humidity...my sis lives in minnesota, i have been there alot...whew, it can be suffocating!
    thanks for the recipe...we make ice cream alot during the summer, this looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about writing something from the heart, or from the soul, and getting crickets chirping instead of comments.

    People tell me I write well, but when I write something I think is good and maybe, gulp, even important...it goes unnoticed.

    I also can surmise that some of my friends who read my blog for the fun stuff, tune out when they see I've written something about God at work in my life (even my believing friends do this).

    I've written about it on my blog in a positive note, but it just plain old hurts that people I care for and those I would like to care for me (simply because life would be more pleasant)discount the words that mean the most to me.

    So there you go, a deep and painful connection to your lack of AC and your sweet ice cream recipe. Take that "The Bachelorette"!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so hear you. I've spent HOURS on a post, and then get maybe three visitors. It's frustrating. I guess all we can do is keep writing, keep practicing, even if no one else notices. And I'm sympathizing with your lack of AC. That sounds unbearable...

    ReplyDelete

love me some comment love… thanks so much for taking the time to share your heart with me!