Visit my new blog

In case you haven't heard, I've moved my blog, but haven't figured out how to redirect yet. HTML code can kiss my a*s. Come visit me here: http://kimberwidmer.com

Monday, October 4, 2010

all things new

BABETTE COLLAVO, NPS PHOTO
What is it about the changing of a season that gets me so excited!? {Except for winter. That is so not exciting, and if it wasn't for Christmas, I would boycot the season entirely.}
Fall here in East Tennessee is beautiful. Even though it's early October, the leaves really haven't even begun to turn… we're still a few weeks away. There's nothing quite like the fall display of colors in the Smokey Mountains. One look across a valley of autumnal splendor and you can almost smell the hot apple cider and fresh-baked pumpkin bread. 
I love me some fall!
I also think there's nothing quite like a beautifully sunny, crisply cool Monday. Mondays can be hard for some, but really, I have this totally renewed feeling like I could really accomplish something amazing. Is it because I had a delightfully relaxing weekend? {And by "delightfully relaxing," I mean taking the car in for an oil change, taking the dogs for rabies shots, getting a box springs from the warehouse, stopping at the grocers, sewing curtains and cleaning out the pantry/closet downstairs… which of course did not include traveling all weekend to work and sweat at a college football game.} It's easy to feel refreshed and ready to start a new week.
To appease the hubs, I've also embarked on a quest to cultivate IRL friendships. As someone who works from home and rarely has to leave the house {except to forage for food}, it's key to my well-being and sanity to seek out human interaction.
I've done this nicely in blog-land. I've developed some sweet friendships with people I never would have encountered IRL, and I'm super thankful for the interesting, inspiring, incredible women I've met in cyberland. I love that I can hang out with my friends at a moment's notice. I don't have to make a "playdate" with any of them. I can choose to visit at my whims… even if it is at 2 in the morning. Some of my friends are just a tweet away. And even though some of these conversations happen with people watching in the fringes, it's a fun way to share bits and pieces of life.
IRL relationships are not so easy. And for me… it brings back feelings of self-doubt and social anxiety. I am going to a gathering of sorority sisters tonight. Since I deactivated my sophomore year, I don't really feel like I belong… but I'm going at the coaxing of a friend who happens to be the mother of one of BamaGirl's closest friends. So I'm going… but I'm nervous about it.
Tuesday is the Young Life banquet. Over 2,000 people will be there… and my nephew will be one of the speakers. With the exception of my SIL, the entire family will be at our table {an answer to prayer} and while I don't think any of them will be quite ready to walk the aisle, it's another opportunity to be sowing seeds for our unbelieving family. BoyWonder is attending his first banquet as an attendee…so exciting to see a new generation investing in the lives of high schoolers.
Wednesday is youth group activities and the afternoon and evening will fly by… late dinner with the Hubs afterwards. Sometimes we grab a few leaders and make a party of it.
Thursday I'm having lunch with three friends who are moms of BamaGirl's friends. People I don't normally see, yet enjoy. I'm finding I have to be super intentional about spending time together. It's so easy to say Oh, we really should get together… and then never do.  Later that day, I'm attending a rally followed by a political debate. Our former mayor, and personal friend, is running for Governor and I'm going to lend my support. The Hubs will be in Atlanta, so I'll be going stag. Another potentially awkward/uncomfortable social scenario. Pray for me not to have diarrhea of the mouth I usually get when I'm nervous.
Friday will be here before I know it. I'm still debating on having the yard sale early since the weekend I scheduled it for is actually the weekend I'll be away at fall camp with our high schoolers from church. Whoops! The following weekend would be alright, but with BamaGirl and BamaGirl's BamaBoy coming in for the big game, that might be more to bite off than I'm ready for.
Whew. I think I need a nap.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a week! It sounds great, though, and I will say a prayer that you will feel comfortable and accepted among these new groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a nap after reading your schedule. You are one busy lady! I hope you have a good time at these events, and that you'll feel comfortable. Big hugs of cyber friendship. "Be careful out there among the English." Can you name the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone not liking fall. It's such a lovely season.

    I want to thank you so much for coming by and lending your support when you heard of the difficulties I've been having with my pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you have a very full schedule. Good for you. I had the opportunity to go out on Friday but I didnt. I do love going to bowling on Tuesday's and it's nice to have friends to talk to IRL. I do love all of my blog friends too and I agree with you on visiting with them anytime day or night. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this sounds like a lot of IRL socializing to me, something I always enjoy but it leaves me ready to hibernate for a while with a good mystery.

    Hope you have a good time tonight - and that tomorrow's banquet will be a sweet time.

    Your fall sounds so nice, and the only other ingredient I like in there is a nice wood fire (in the fireplace, please, not in the forest!) Just the crisp leaves, cool air, wood fire, apple cider, and I'm all set!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are really being the social butterfly aren't you?!

    there is no place I would rather be in October than in TN...it IS the most beautiful place ever!!

    ReplyDelete

love me some comment love… thanks so much for taking the time to share your heart with me!