Visit my new blog

In case you haven't heard, I've moved my blog, but haven't figured out how to redirect yet. HTML code can kiss my a*s. Come visit me here: http://kimberwidmer.com

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

write on!

while writing stuff on a post it note is pretty fun, i'll have to admit that keeping my thoughts to a few notes is hard, but the challenge to be snarky, funny and brief is oftentimes hard to pass up. i'm bypassing supahmommy's meme today to participate in another blog-hop.


Nicole, over at tattoos and teething rings has begun a new tradition, and i'm playing along. In today's installment of Write On! we have a choice of two writing prompts:

1) Write about a memory involving food. It can be a happy memory that brings you back to your childhood, or something really embarrassing that you'd rather forget. My vote is embarrassing, but that's just how I roll.  2) Write about your worst personality trait or bad habit. Be honest; none of this "My worst habit is that I'm so kind to everyone...blah blah blah."Time to fess up! (And, since you are aware of this bad habit or trait, is there a reason you haven't changed)
hop on over to nicole's and play along. there's a mrlinky thingy so go hook yourself up!
while food is always top of my mind… i think i'll forgo that topic for the second. not like talking about my worst personality trait is my idea of a picnic. i usually try to avoid looking at my faults (please tell me that's normal, mmmkay?)
sadly, i have a long list… i suffer from OPD (obnoxious personality disorder) and it manifests itself in so many ways… 
i don't know if my brain works on overdrive or if that's just a symptom of ADD, but i remember my mouth getting me in trouble as early as second grade. i encountered my brother's sixth grade teacher in the hall and he was asking me what i was doing (it was after school) and my overly quick responses to his questions were seen as disrespectful and insolent. not the content of my answers. just the fact that i was answering him before he had a chance to finish his question. 
i still do that. i'm not trying to be impatient. really. i do want to hear your thoughts. (but i hate the thought of you having to wait around to hear how brilliant my answer to your question is!) i'd gladly listen until the end of your sentence, but i already know where you're going, and unfortunately, i'm anxiously ready with a reply to the thought you haven't even finished yet, so before i forget (i have a.d.d.) what i'm going to say, i'm pretty much blurting it out. much of the time…right on top of what you haven't finished saying yet.
geesh, i'm annoyed at myself just thinking about it!
i am the worst conversationalist. if it's not all about me, then i'm usually trying to connect with you about your story… it just usually works out that i try to empathize by… uh… talking about me. or a situation i had that was similar. for-the-love-of-me-pete, i'm really not trying to one up you or turn the conversation around to me. really. in my quest to make you feel like i'm listening (which i really am doing, it just doesn't come across that way) i end up butting in to interject my idea or story. 
this of course, makes me nervous. and when i'm nervous, i get diarrhea of the mouth. 
gah.
the hubster trys the look. you know, the look. the one with his eyes bulging out of his head.
when that doesn't work, he adds the head tilt. 
and an eyebrow raise. 
everything but his head spinning on its axis (which would be a pretty neat touch).
it goes on to the throat clear. and the kick to the shins.
but by now the nerves have taken over and i'm impervious to pain. or the stampede of people away from me.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you popped by my blog which in turn brought me to yours. I love this post...feel like I wrote it. I so get your impatient and excited ADD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol im the same way sometimes!!! haha its ok.. it doesnt show in bloggy land :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe that you are the worst conversationalist!!! I don't believe that at all! you are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, can't wait to meet you this July!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you are honest! It's always fun to talk about yourself occasionally right?! Some people enjoy people like you, since they don't like doing a lot of talking themselves. I would say you probably entertain people, which is a great quality!

    Found you on the links at T&TR. New Follower! ;)

    http://www.gerberdaysblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol. i am the opposite, i tend to say so little that people label me as stuck up. ME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, this was SO freakin' funny! I laughed out loud at: "(which would be a pretty neat touch)." HA HA HA!

    So, I'm glad I'm not the only one. My poor husband thinks I interrupt all the time... but I just don't know how else to "prove" that I'm listening and excited about what he's saying than to interrupt! I'm actually praying about that and trying to find new ways to communicate ;) Because my way isn't as wonderful to everyone else as it is to me.

    But anyway, I understood EXACTLY what you were saying! (And see how I had to talk about MYSELF to prove my interest and excitement? I REALLY DO GET IT!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah! I used to do that too (and here I go relating it to myself, so perhaps I haven't changed that much...). In fact, my high school boyfriend used to tell me to just interrupt him, because he knew I'd forget if I didn't say what I wanted to say at the moment I thought of saying it. Unfortunately, this created the bad habit of interrupting everyone. It took a long time to fix that one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. I'm so glad I met you through Ms. Tattoos. I'm new to this whole connect the blogs thing. Have just been merrily blogging away all by my lonesome for a while, being um, lonesome. This whole connection thing is AWESOME. You totally cracked me UP with this. My husband is JUST like this. I'm glad you explained him to me. Now I won't be so completely annoyed. Because you sound like a completely delightful person :-)

    ReplyDelete

love me some comment love… thanks so much for taking the time to share your heart with me!