Visit my new blog

In case you haven't heard, I've moved my blog, but haven't figured out how to redirect yet. HTML code can kiss my a*s. Come visit me here: http://kimberwidmer.com

Friday, January 16, 2009

best seat in the house


after standing outside, waiting for our three (yes, three) weiner dogs to "do their business" i got to thinking about the miracle plane crash in the hudson river yesterday. i am freezing my backside off, and i think i was outside for all of five minutes (it shouldn't take that long to do business in 12 degree weather, but then that is why i'm outside with them. to keep them on task. hmmmm. we have something in common, but that's another story) and i was stomping my feet grumbling hurry up, dang it. how long does it take to flippin' PEE!? and then i thought about being in the hudson river. wet. shivering. stunned with shock. rubbing my head i smacked on the ceiling of the plane as it crashed. 

i cannot even begin to imagine…

or how cold the family with ten kids whose house burned down the other day as they stood shivering in the snow watching the flames consume their shelter, their memories, their refuge.

i cannot even begin to imagine…

and while it would be easy to sink to my knees thanking God for saving my life from a harrowing plane crash, i wonder, how in the world is is possible to thank God for the destruction of a home?

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.

thank you for that reminder, James!

and in 1 thessalonians 5, we are reminded: Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

not be joyful when you feel like it, or when it suits you, but always…

not pray when you can squeeze it in, or when someone else does, or at an appointed time (like before a meal, or at church). but continually…

giving thanks. not when something nice happens, or when someone gives me something, or i get a blessing. in all circumstances…

so thank you for the blessing of heat when it is cold. and for coats and mittens and scarves.

thank you for the freezing temperatures which make such amazing frost crystals on my windows!

thank you for crunchy grass!

and thank you for the freezing moment in my front yard when i remembered to rejoice in the day the Lord has made. to have a thankful heart, to pray for my friends and people i don't even know and at all times…

No comments:

Post a Comment

love me some comment love… thanks so much for taking the time to share your heart with me!